1more Triple Driver Over-Ear Headphones

Shoutbox

Welcome. Quick messages/chats but this area is emptied from time to time so nothing permanent here!!
lobalwarming: But, let's say it's a live rock or jazz band with multi mic mayhem. Most of the phase response of the live performance has already been mortally wounded, and we haven't even made it to the mixdown Sept 3, 2019 4:03:51 GMT
lobalwarming: Then the recording is mixed in a studio, hopefully with decent monitoring and a mix engineer who hasn't blown his ears out. Sept 3, 2019 4:05:32 GMT
lobalwarming: After the mix engineer has finished the mix to his/her satisfaction (which means bias), then the mastering engineer takes a whack at it because the mastering engineer doesn't like the biases/tastes of the mix engineer. Sept 3, 2019 4:08:14 GMT *
lobalwarming: Quite likely neither mix engineer nor mastering engineer attended the live recording (unless a boutique label). Sept 3, 2019 4:09:13 GMT
lobalwarming: Also... the mix & mastering engineer are normally using speakers to monitor and 'optimize' the recording for. Very, very, very few optimize for headphone listening. Sept 3, 2019 4:14:24 GMT
lobalwarming: Making a really high quality recording that reflects the live performance sonics is really hard. So many places it can go wrong. Sept 3, 2019 4:15:52 GMT
lobalwarming: The recording/capture/manipulation/production determine about 90% of the ultimate quality. Our little playback chains get to play with the last 10%. Sept 3, 2019 4:17:24 GMT
lobalwarming: Since there is no perfect headphone, amp, DAC, mic, preamp we have to decide what elements of the live performance we want to focus on Sept 3, 2019 4:23:02 GMT
lobalwarming: That focus can change depending on our mood/time of day and dozens of other subjective variables Sept 3, 2019 4:24:47 GMT
lobalwarming: Some days I enjoy the BP ECC40 more, because it's exceptionally transparent and (with a phase-preserving recording) can accurately reproduce a sense of 3D space with excellent depth perception and precise imaging. Sept 3, 2019 4:26:42 GMT
lobalwarming: Imaging that is a fake, of course. Because stereo is a crude approximation. Sept 3, 2019 4:27:46 GMT *
lobalwarming: Other days, I enjoy the ECC32 more, because its nature enhances the 'experience' - it often feels more engaging despite knowing it too is a fake engagement. Sept 3, 2019 4:29:57 GMT
lobalwarming: Our brains are amazing at sensory pattern matching and our imaginations can fill in many details. But our brains are easily distracted and often distracting - messing with attention with random thoughts and/or filtering out stimulus. Sept 3, 2019 4:32:27 GMT *
lobalwarming: And before I'm banned from the shoutbox for filling all the boxes... even if I could definitively claim the ECC40 or ECC32 is better than the other, that's just me. Could be that you prefer entirely different tubes and I'm a tone-deaf idiot. ;-) Sept 3, 2019 4:38:45 GMT *
lobalwarming: What I love so much about headphone listening is that it's personal. I can tweak my system to satisfy only my whims, not the collective opinions of friends or the internet Sept 3, 2019 4:39:59 GMT
lobalwarming: I've bought many tubes, that many claimed were the 'best', only to listen on my system with my ears and decide they were closer to the worst for me. That's why I state it as flavours. There is no objective standard that we all can agree on for live music Sept 3, 2019 4:42:28 GMT *
lobalwarming: Some prefer to be closer to stage/musicians and others prefer the sound blended with some hall acoustics and sit further back. Sept 3, 2019 4:44:31 GMT
lobalwarming: As a recordist, which spot is the 'best seat in the house'? It's subjective. Sept 3, 2019 4:45:08 GMT
sene: Thanks for sharing your ideas and opinion...i will give these tubes a try Sept 3, 2019 4:58:01 GMT
lobalwarming: The ECC31 is the same construction as the ECC32, but for the heater config. The ECC31 with an adapter will still be much cheaper than the ECC32. Which will let you save up for a 1st gen unicorn Black Plate Phillips ECC40 ;-) Sept 5, 2019 1:33:46 GMT